Good dental practices for kids is an area of parenting that many struggle with. The first tooth begins to appear in a baby’s mouth around 6 months of age and from that moment on your child is susceptible to tooth decay. Tooth decay in infants and toddlers is often referred to as Baby Bottle Tooth Decay. Front teeth are the most commonly affected but decay can occur anywhere and for infants with teething issues or delays the risk is even higher. In extreme cases, dental care is not given or is not complete enough and the decay advances and the teeth affected cannot be saved and must be removed. This can lead to other dental issues down the road as the mouth and adult teeth must develop without proper spacing and alignment. The good news is that tooth decay is preventable with good dental care practices for kids and good local dental care from the experts! We here at TLC Dental are ready to help your child get off on the right foot!
When Dental Care Should Start
Dental care needs to begin as soon as a tooth appears. Many parents think baby teeth are not as important because they will eventually fall out. However, when baby teeth have problems, it can affect the adult teeth as well. Bacteria and infects in baby teeth can impact the gums. Missing teeth can cause adult teeth to shift and be misaligned when they come in. This is why the good dental practices for kids- brushing and good oral care- have to start sooner rather than later. Getting local dental care for your child is one of the best things you can do to help preserve their health!
Good Dental Practices for Kids
Many young children are afraid of the dentists and fearful of strangers and of people messing with their mouths. Here are some tips to help make appointments easier and less stressful:
- Keep yourself calm and relaxed because your child will pick up on negative emotions.
- Never use the dental visit and dental care as a form of punishment or as a threat.
- Never bribe your child or try to coerce them or guilt them into going to the dentist.
- Talk with your child, even when they are very young, about visiting the dentist.
During this visit, the local dental care experts at the dentists will:
- Check your child’s teeth for signs of injuries, delays, cavities, or other problems.
- Let you know whether there are signs of decay or other dental issues present.
- Clean your child’s teeth and also offer daily cleaning and care tips.
- Discuss issues you may be facing with teething, pacifier use, or thumb sucking.
- Discuss any needed treatments or advanced care and schedule future check-ups.
Good dental practices for kids have to start sooner rather than later and if you are looking for local dental care experts, we invite you to contact us here at TLC Dental and let us show you the difference we can make for your child and for your entire family!